This post contains affiliate links for which I may earn a commission (at no extra cost to you) should you make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my disclaimer for more information.
This chocolate cherry smoothie is so sweet and delicious. It is vegan and dairy-free, and it is the perfect snack or dessert!
I love having a smoothie almost every day! They are a super easy and filling snack to whip up any time, and there are so many different flavours to create!
This smoothie is:
- Tasty enough to be dessert!
*Ingredient quantities and full instructions can be found in the recipe card below.
Many smoothies use banana as a base to help thicken and make the smoothie creamy, but there is no banana in this chocolate cherry smoothie!
Here is what you will need:
- Frozen sweet cherries - make sure they are pitted!
- Cacao or cocoa powder to create the chocolate flavor.
- Maple syrup for added sweetness.
- Chia seeds for some added plant-based protein and healthy fats.
- Unsweetened plant milk (I like almond milk or oat milk).
- Peanut butter (optional, but highly recommended!).
- Use frozen cherries. The frozen cherries are what makes this smoothie cold and thick. Without frozen cherries it won’t be nearly as good because the texture would be ruined! If you can’t find pre-frozen cherries, you can freeze your own.
- Ensure your cherries have been pitted. Most bags of frozen cherries from the store will already have the pits removed, but make sure you double check the package. You don’t want to be tossing cherry pits into your blender! If you are freezing fresh cherries, it will be easiest to remove the pits before putting the cherries in the freezer.
- Add some peanut butter to make this chocolate cherry smoothie more filling and add a bit of extra protein (4 grams). The peanut butter is an optional add-in, but it is so good!
- Blend your chia seeds for a smooth texture. Some people just mix chia seeds into a smoothie, but I prefer blending them up!
- Feel free to add a bit more maple syrup if you want your smoothie to be sweeter. I find it plenty sweet with just one tablespoon because the cherries are sweet too.
- Add more plant-based milk if your blender is getting stuck or if you just don’t want this smoothie to be so thick. I enjoy it thick because it has more of a milkshake vibe, but you can definitely add some more milk if needed. If you have a high-powered blender such as a Vitamix, you will be able to blend this smoothie with only 1 cup of milk, but you may need to use a tamper.
Turn it into a chocolate cherry smoothie bowl
If you have a high-powered blender or a food processor, you can easily turn this smoothie into a chocolate cherry smoothie bowl.
Just start with only ½ cup of plant-based milk to make it thicker. That’s it. Then you can pour it into a bowl and eat it with a spoon!
Topping ideas for a smoothie bowl:
- Cacao nibs
- Chocolate chips
- Coconut flakes
- Caramel sauce
- Chocolate sauce
- Chia seeds
- Chopped fruit
More smoothie recipes
- Avocado peanut butter chocolate smoothie
- Peanut butter acai bowl
- Pumpkin peanut butter smoothie
- strawberry blackberry banana smoothie
Chocolate Cherry Smoothie
This chocolate cherry smoothie is so sweet and delicious. It is vegan and dairy-free, and it is the perfect snack or even dessert!
- 2 cups frozen sweet cherries (pitted)
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder or cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 cup unsweetened oat milk or almond milk
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter (optional)
Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. You may need to add a bit more milk to get things blended if you don’t have a high-powered blender.
Add more milk to get this smoothie blended if needed.
Leave a Reply