This post contains affiliate links for which I may earn a commission (at no extra cost to you) should you make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my disclaimer for more information.
This blueberry arugula smoothie is flavorful and so nutritious! Filled with fruit and arugula, this is a healthy and refreshing smoothie to add to your day.
Scroll down to the recipe box for quantities.
Here is what you will need for this smoothie:
- Arugula: The star of this recipe, arugula adds plenty of nutrients to this smoothie.
- Frozen blueberries: They must be frozen to create a nice smooth texture.
- Frozen banana: The banana also must be frozen to create a smooth and creamy texture.
- Orange juice: This helps to add some flavor and prevent the arugula from becoming too overpowering.
- Almond milk: You could also use oat milk.
- Chia seeds: Chia seeds don’t affect the taste of this smoothie, but they add healthy fat, protein, and omega 3s.
How to make
First you will need to freeze your ½ banana if it isn’t already frozen. Don’t skip the freezing because this smoothie will not be as good if you use unfrozen banana.
Once you have all of the ingredients ready, add everything to a blender and blend until smooth.
Make sure you blend it really well so that all of the arugula gets completely blended. You don’t want to be left with pieces of arugula in your smoothie!
Can you taste the arugula?
Yes! You can definitely taste the arugula in this smoothie.
If you want to consume some healthy leafy greens without tasting them, I recommend a spinach smoothie. The taste of spinach is easily covered up by fruit in smoothies, but the taste of arugula is stronger.
Even with plenty of fruit, the taste of arugula is quite strong in this smoothie. So if you love arugula, you will enjoy this smoothie!
But if you really don’t like the taste of arugula, try a spinach and fruit smoothie instead!
- Blend in your chia seeds for a smooth texture. I find that blending them is much better than just mixing them in.
- Use a high-powered blender if you have one. This will ensure that the arugula gets fully blended.
- If you find the taste of the arugula too strong, add a bit more orange juice or a small amount of freshly squeezed lemon juice.
Adjustments and substitutions
- Instead of almond milk, you can use oat milk in this smoothie.
- The chia seeds aren’t necessary to create the nice taste and texture of this smoothie, so they can be omitted if you don’t have any.
- Add more orange juice or some lemon juice if you want to make your smoothie taste sweeter and less like arugula.
More green smoothies
- ¾ cups arugula
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- ½ frozen banana
- ½ cup orange juice
- ½ cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
Make sure all of the arugula has been completely blended.
If you need some more liquid to get this smoothie blended, add a bit more milk or orange juice.
If you find the taste of arugula too strong, adding a bit of lemon juice may help.